What is a Cover Supervisor?
What is a Cover Supervisor?
The job title of ‘Cover Supervisor’ is very new in UK schools and it has come about as a result of the governments ‘Remodelling of the School Workforce’ agenda (see www.remodelling.org )
Working as a cover supervisor can be extremely rewarding but also very demanding. There is a high level of responsibility and although there is always a teacher close at hand if needed, there is a large amount of autonomy.
A cover supervisor is likely to be used for short-term absences of a teacher. These might be known in advance (for example, where a teacher has a medical appointment or is undergoing professional development) or unexpected (for example, absence due to illness.
On a daily basis, cover supervision is more than likely to include:
- Supervising work that has been set in accordance with the school policy
- Managing the behavior of pupils whilst they are undertaking this work to ensure a constructive environment;
- Responding to any questions from pupils about process and procedures;
- Dealing with any immediate problems or emergencies according to the school's policies and procedures;
- Collecting any completed work after the lesson and returning it to the appropriate teacher
- Reporting back as appropriate using the school's agreed referral procedures on the behavior of pupils during the class, and any issues arising.
However, schools may wish to employ staff for cover supervision but on occasions where they are not needed for cover, they might also be released to provide additional support to teachers in classrooms, or to carry out administrative tasks for example.
Thus it is easy to see how the role of cover supervisor and teaching assistant can become interchangeable.
The working day is usually during school hours and often, term time only. Salaries are set locally by schools, usually with guidance from local education authorities
#The Challenges & The Rewards
If you are Cover Supervisor looking for either permanent, long term or daily supply, then we can help. Our relationships with local schools provide access to a wealth of teaching opportunities in Nursery, Primary and Secondary schools nationwide.
Teachers UK have enjoyed much success by putting Cover Supervisors at the forefront of our business. To ensure consistency in our service to you, you will be appointed one of our experienced consultants who will take the time to establish your individual needs and always be your point of reference.
Register with us today and benefit from:
- Excellent rates of pay
- Prompt weekly payments, on time every time
- A personalised programme of continuous professional development
- Support and guidance from our experienced education consultants, 24 hours, 7 days a week
- Free quality teaching resources
- Free social events
- Access to teaching opportunities in all key stages and subject specialisms
- Flexible assignments
- Support during challenging times
- Bonus for recommending friends or colleagues to us
Simply click here to start your registration process.
Alternatively, please call our head office on 01623 600 636 to be connected to your local branch, and we will be happy to discuss your requirements further.
Register with Teachers UK
You can register with Teachers UK online, from anywhere in the world!
Simply click here to start the process.